Like everyone else, the end of summer and start of a new school year brings all kinds of transitions to our home. Add one child traveling to Hawaii with her grandmother for 10 days, another child entering high school, a family business....well, you know the song and dance. Many of you are singing the same verse or making the same dance steps:).
This year, though, I have had this nagging thought bouncing around in my head that I couldn't quite get to formulate until the wee hours of this morning. You see, in all of our busyness, some of our family routines have changed. Some for the better...some not. Same for my personal study time with the Lord...it has changed and I haven't quite settled into the routine that fits our new family schedule. But I digress.
The thought that finally bounced out this morning, with the help of Ann Voskamp's blog, A Holy Experience, is this......I have THOUGHT I have been distracted but I have been deceived.
Ann says, "It is my own inflated sense of self-importance, the elevation of my work, of my agenda, that keeps me from prayer communion. That's called idol worship. I don't pray enough (or read/study my Bible enough) because I am practicing idol worship." (italics are mine)
As I got honest with myself and with the Lord, I had to ask myself two questions.
1. Do I honestly believe that the longing in my soul can only be filled by Jesus? Psalm 107:9 tells us He satisfies that longing and hunger within us. No one or nothing else can. Why do we try to fill ourselves with other things and other people??
2. What are the distractions in my life? or to be gut-wrenching convicting, what are the idols?
- Family obligations (like cooking, cleaning, teaching, etc)
- Computer, iPads, Mobile devices
- Texting, FB, Twitter
- Friends, Social Activities
- Sports, Hobbies
- TV, Movies
Then ask Him how you may serve Him today...or what does He desire you to do today? He may have you tweetin' and FBing....or watching college football....all for His glory.....or He could call you to an all day Social Media fast.
Either way...........your soul will be satisfied.