Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why study? Why gain knowledge?

Several years ago, these questions were posed to the students in our church...

"why are you studying? why are you going to school? college?"

A simple answer would be "because my parents are making me." Or for those still in high school, the answer is "because the law mandates that I go to school."

But have you ever stopped to think about why you are teaching your kids what you are teaching them? or as an adult, why you studied what you did? why you went to college (if you went)? or why you pursued what career you pursued?

This question made me think on two levels. One, in my own life. I had to examine why did I go to college and pursue the course of study that I did. Then, why did I get an advanced degree. The answer was simple regarding why college and why the advanced degree -- both were expected in my family. It wasn't up for discussion. However, the course of study was truly your own choice.

The second level I had to examine was what was I teaching my own children now at home.

That is what brought me to this issue of looking at the mind and its purpose. Years ago, when we first started homeschooling, the goals were easy to establish. Now that my children are older, the goals of schooling look much different and they are more abstract than concrete. We realized early on that if they left our home as brilliant scholars but did not know God, then we had failed miserably. However, it has been easy to get caught up in the academics of life because they are required.

Recently, I re-listened to the message that contained the above questions. He noted that we don't pursue education so that we can get a good job, a nice car, etc. Christ has given us our minds for such a deeper reason.

We have been given the privilege of studying so that we can show the glory of Christ.

How?

You study so that your skill/knowledge is needed and in that need, you have the opportunity to develop relationships and in those relationships, you have the opportunity to show Christ.

He gave an example - an unbelievable example and I will share it here. In the Middle East, there is a Baptist School that has high academic standards. The academic excellence is so well known that the Muslims are willing to send their children to this school knowing that their children will be taught the Holy Bible! The school is very open about this and the parents even sign a statement that it is okay for their student to be taught the Bible. The school is 90% Muslim. What an outreach to the Muslim community. All because the Muslims value the knowledge of this school.

The problem, as I see it, is that we compartmentalize our lives and don't see how our professional lives should be used for the glory/mission of Christ.

So I ask the question of you....why study? why gain knowledge?



4 comments:

  1. 2 Timothy 2:15 tells us, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (I don't use KJV, but it used the word "study")

    So, we are to study in order to gain knowledge of God. But, not only for head knowledge but to really "know" (as my husband would say, "Gnosco" in the greek, meaning to intimately know.) To "know" so that we can teach others...

    I had every intention of going back to school to finish my bachelor's degree. Until God placed the call of motherhood on my heart. From that point on, the knowledge I felt that I needed to obtain a job, was no longer "important". Now, that knowledge of God's word, preparing to teach my future children, is what is most important to me.

    I hope that made sense ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I think that is one of the points David was trying to say in his sermon, too. Knowledge to make oneself rich or puffed up is useless but knowledge to make disciples is where it is at!

    Thanks Christie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debra:
    I'm glad to see you posting some meaty stuff here lately! I'm having to read back and catch up.

    I remember when we first began homeschooling, and the Summer leading up to our bringing Anna home from school, the Lord set two particular verses in front of me that really meant alot to me in my decision making. I will show their application to "the mind."

    The first, Galatians 6:7-8, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life."
    Whatever we sow into our lives whether it be education, sports, hobbies, other interests - that's what we reap. If we sow to our minds the Word of God, we are transformed. If we sow to (or feed) our Spirit, then it is that which grows.

    The other I will share on the next post, because it can refer to "idols" in my life as well...
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

We love comments....so please feel free to leave some:)....