Monday, May 2, 2011

Goodbye Hollywood Nobody by Lisa Sampson

You are going to need a map to follow this plot!

This is the fourth book in a series by Lisa Sampson and it clearly does not stand alone. It is about the querky advertures of Scotty Fitzgerald who desires to live a"Jesusy extraordinary" life. In the midst of trying to find this life, Scotty's journey includes trials of friendship, forgiveness, and faith.

But the struggle I had in reading the book was twofold. First, I had not read the previous books in the series and this author clearly does not give you enough information to surmise what has occurred in the first three books. Many times a character would pop up and I would think "wait, who is this?" Or there would be a reference to someone or an event that you were expected to know for the story to come together. Second, the book is written in a journal format. This format alone is difficult but couple it with my first point and you have a very hard book to read.

This book is written for teens. While I could see some younger teens enjoying Scotty's adventure, I felt like the themes of unwed pregnancy or the friend who needed to keep himself pure were too mature for that younger teen group.

Overall, I would give this book 3 stars.

I would only recommend it IF you were going to read all four books in the series.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review.  As always, my opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments....so please feel free to leave some:)....